Sunday, September 17, 2006

Swimming

I'm developing a healthy habit. I like the pool, a LOT. Most days, after I get up, the first thing I do is go for a one hour swim. In case I don't make it in the morning (due to the early meetings), I go at night before the dinner. And on some days, like yesterday, I even get there twice.

During my holiday In Croatia, I swam the route that I use to swim as a kid growing up. So in a way I already got used to swimming during the last couple of months even before coming here. Therefore, it sure was very convenient to find out that now I can continue strengthening my new habit by making it from the bed to the Olympic size pool in 5 mins.

Some 20yrs ago, I used to spent a few weeks each summer with my cousin Vlado in Split. Back then Vlado used to play competitive Waterpolo for the first division club as well as train younger players in the club. (Now he is a Waterpolo coach for students at the private high school in South Africa). So he would take me to his trainings, where he taught me how to swim. He thought me well, and I though I was quite good at it. Though, during my swims in Croatia this time around I started thinking about maximising the efficiency of moving through the water... and then last week, as part of my ‘work’, I started googling for the information about the stroke efficiency... Wow... Who knew swimming is such a complicated science. I came across quite a number good articles at Swimming World Magazine and at US Masters Swimming. Though out of all the articles that I went trough so far, the one that stands out, and is responsible for my muscle pain, can be found here.

5 min walking distance from the bed, free => love...!

No comments: