Sunday, September 17, 2006

Fighting the nature

Dave, the international colleague, says that it is all in the name of comfort, and our – human – prosperity, it’s something that we have been doing since always, so it shouldn’t be a surprise for anyone. But still, I’m surprised - the amount of energy that Singapore spends on keeping all the indoor areas cool must be ridiculous. In spite of many warnings by my friends, I don’t mind the heat at this place, at least not the one I have experienced during the first few weeks. What I do mind are aircons that keep big difference in the temperature between inside and outside. I believe that this is the cause of my cold that has been dragging on since the day I arrived.

Also, in my opinion, the outside heat would not be perceived as bad as it is by majority if the aircons were set to cool the inside to a temperature ONLY few degrees less then outside, instead of, what seams ten degrees or more.

Airconditioners, 'decorating' the side of the building:


On the sunny side, the layout looks somewhat better than the one Coleman ran into.

No comments: