Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Technical Lead - Solutions Architect


Here's the scoop after the 1st 2.5 months:

THE GOOD

Actually doing what I've been training to do for the past 10 years - pure joy!

Variety:
I have changed number of roles, and have been exposed to different industries:
Potential:
The company is SME that is looking to grow. I am given the position, responsibility and trust not on my experience but on my potential (and (different) looks?). I am immensely grateful (not forgetting the current economy), and appreciate the exciting opportunity it represents. If we successfully help each other grow, the rewards should will be sweet for all.

Fun:
The average age in the company is 27. The management (seniors) is on the level 8, which lovers the average of the production space on the 4th floor to something more like 23 y.o. This separation across the floors, roles and generations makes the atmosphere on the level 4 not unlike a uni lab. Needless to say, much more to my liking.


THE NOT SO GOOD

Small Company:
Is the other point of view on the 'Potential' mentioned above. Being an SME, there are only few people with extensive industry experience I could potentially learn a lot from. Though, they are constantly busy with their daily chores, making it hard for me to catch them for chit-chats, let alone some regular type of mentoring. This leaves me to focus on learning from the grandmaster of all teachers, experience. I am putting in the effort to back up the experience with relevant readings.

Culture:
Yes, it's mainly fun, but also the few bumps on the road I have encountered to date relate to attitude of me vs them. There is bit too much power-tripping and finger-pointing instead of looking at it as we - as in one company - and trying to move on by focusing on solutions and helping each other cover inadequacies every individual brings to the table. Today during the meeting, COO, the founder who expressed his scepticism regarding my lack of the industry experience during the interview last year, could not help himself but allow it to resurface. (Seems that) COO has old school mentality that to get to a role you have to go through the thin and thick of lower ranks. Ideally, yes I agree that would be the case, but it also seems the he doesn't take into consideration that being good at one role doesn't imply success at the next. The appreciation of the notion that 'every rule has an exception (which in turn proves the rule)' might be too much to expect in this environment. Luckily, thanks to my Asian-(business)-Culture-101 (e.g.) during the teaching days in Singapore, I held my usually quick tongue between the teeth, and let the boss be a boss.

On the bright side they are saying that they are trying to improve across the board, and there sure is plenty of scope to do so, though I doubt anyone expects a reward for the employer of choice any time in the near future.


THE EXPECTATION:

Two years...!

No comments: