Sunday, July 20, 2008

Timing is everything...

All good things come to an end, and so is the case for my 'paid holiday'. This being my last semester of teaching at the school, on the 1st of October my contract finishes and it will be the time to move on.

Last year at this time, I thought that I'll have a good chance to move from education into industry here in Singapore. People where buying new cars, new apartments, changing jobs... in short the economy was booming. The 'plan' was to apply for Singaporean PR (permanent resident visa) and use my international 'good looks' and education to get a job in the local IT industry, an illusive 'real' job.

Sure, things can change in an instant, and a calendar year is a long time ... So now, one year later all news related to economy are about scarcity, caution, recession, downturn, inflation. My PR application got rejected, and with it my possibility of landing an industry job (drastically) reduced.

If I had the 'crystal ball', I probably would've tried that industry jump a year ago... but at the time I was too busy enjoying the 'paid holiday'.

By December, I'll finish my 'outstanding' degree, look for a job (in the IT industry) all over the place (mainly Spora and Dubai), and in mean time, give the PR another crack. That's what I (think I) know. And then, I'll take the next step in the direction that will seem the best at that time.

'Not knowing what's next...' - wouldn't want it any other way! ... is there any other way :)


Ps:
1) Dan Millman, a person born in 1946 seems to be credited with 'timing is everything'... that just seems wrong... The cliché that good should be from a much earlier time. Let me know if you have a better reference.

2) Couple of interesting essays that I stumbled upon while looking for the credit for the quote.
- One, talking about the need for patience before you can see fruits of the seeds of change.
- The other, on the belief that no matter what, you are at the right time in the right place in your life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are at the right time and right place in yuor life: bro i believe that and in 2001-2002 i read it or rather discovered it. it just makes sense if you are honest and allow yourself to be probed by yourself and i think it is desire and passsion and whatnot that enables one to move out and on.