Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Getting to the bottom of Chinese Whispers

To close the saga, I arranged 30 second meeting with Director today. Enough time to say: "I apologize for the misunderstanding caused during the last week".

Though, as MirrorMan predicted in his comment->objective 2, Director didn't wanted me to just leave at that and was in deed keen to have the chat. I was rather reluctant to say anything, and at first, I was just listening to her justifying her reasons again for not approving the exception.

Then, as she went dribbling on about the importance of communication, family-like closeness amongst the staff, equalities, fairness, and not-taking things personally, my flesh-bulb flashed, and I realized something that Director I have in common: idealism seem to be a strong trait of our personalities.

I thought to myself, something along the lines of: Ok then, if you really wish to talk and since you are not telling me anything new' and said: 'Don't take this the wrong way, but why do you think I came here to apologize?' After she reverted back for a while to the topic of 'why I cannot skip graduation' - maybe a tendency to act super blur - she slowly came to the word 'threat'.

We had a quite a prolonged chat, involving communication, the cultural differences, adaptation, learning, pursuit of ideals, and of course my deep, hard to understand, mumbling, sexy (one +ve one :) voice. In regards to the topic, I've seen that her main concern, rightly so, was that after the incident, I'll shy away from communicating with her and the rest of the management. She didn't want me to have a 'wrong' perception.

We also established that the mis-communication really started to take shape when she included the lines that implied the joke during our conversation, while paraphrasing what was discussed to my RO. Though, same as for the previous two incidents of similar nature I went though since the arrival, I am to blame, as those lines initially came out of my mouth.

We shook hands on it, and I got another tap on the shoulder. As only it can be on a 'payed holiday', it's all okLah...!


Ps: If I feel as sincerely bout the below eM tomorrow, as I do now, I'll send it even though it sounds like brown-nosing-corporate mumbo-jumbo :

Hi D,

Again, thanks for the chat.

Though, once more, let me reiterate that after RO spoke to me last Friday, from my perspective, everything was fine regarding the happening of the week; and as I've said to PA, I just wanted to have 30 seconds of your time to apologize for it, as it was me who caused it.

None the less, as a bonus, thanks to your willingness to talk things over, I feel more confident that you stand behind the ideals that you communicate, and I wish you best of luck and courage in steering the ICT ship in that direction.

Sincerely,

Z


UPDATE - Director's reply:

It's you guys that keep me and our ICT ship going despite the various challenges ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello bud

nice one - the email i mean. loved the drivel and yeah send it if you feel the same.

anyway quick one to ask you to think about the process of your conversation especially when you began talking about " why did you want to apolo.."

thought of a nice equation actually and it goes like this: idealism + masks + power = ? or maybe (no)idealism + (no) power = masks ?

call me a cynical dcik_fcuk and i'd say thank you as i always do :)

Anonymous said...

ps: so will you be there on the 12 ?

zb said...

OXy, u r neither cynical, nor DF. At least not in these waters. If by any chance u FEEL like it, it must be cos ur merely mirroring one!

Yea, I remember very well, I felt like there was this big flood gate in my neck struggling to hold down the huge overflow coming down strong - in reality it was probably my thyroid being hyped up. Well yea, apparently it was obvious that I was withhold my opinion, as I was sitting there trying my best to pull of the classical Mirror body language (i.e. smiling softly and every so often slightly nodding). And I guess, the more I stayed there listening to her BS, the more obvious it became cos it was more and more difficult to keep the flood gates closed.

So after she kept on encouraging me to express, and reassuring that she's not the one who takes these things personally nor gets upset, I thought to myself: ok, let's test it.

Masks - I did not forget bout them, how could I. I cannot say bout her, I would like to believe that my perception is true, and that she indeed is more genuine then the environment would allow. Though, one thing is for sure, at least I took my one off,... well mostly... I think...!

Ps: u're making me repeat myself - yes.