Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lucky no more

On one of those in/fameous staff meetings that was held last Friday, the school Director mentioned the graduation ceremony which will be held on the 13th of June. She also said that the ceremony is COMPULSORY for ALL staff. - Say WHAT?! It was only month ago that my RO was telling me how lucky I was w/ my annual leaves and now this:

Problem: I've bought my ticket for Vietnam travel between the 9th and 24th June back in February when Jetstar had promotion.

As I didn't get to catch up with Director after the meeting, I spoke to her yesterday. Naturally, I have first discussed the issue with my RO who told me at the time when there was issue with the leave for the Thailand trip that in case something comes up again in regards to applying for the annual leave that I'll have to address it to Director myself.

So I did. Director said she was gonna discuss it further with my RO and the Deputy Director, and then email me. So she did:

----
Z,

To be able to graduate from the polytechnic with their diplomas has been the ultimate goal of all our students. Graduation ceremony to them is a very important occasion, the culmination of years of effort and learning from us. Same for the staff, we worked so hard to help our students in the hope of seeing them graduate. Graduation is the time when we gather together en mass for the last time, to congratulate and wish them all our best. Hence, Graduation Ceremony, year after year, is taken as a serious affair that all staff (academic + support) are expected to attend. I am sure we all want to see our students during this glory moment of theirs and of ours too. I recall that one of our IFs even delayed her trip back to the US just to attend the graduation, to witness her students graduate.

We have also checked our record that in the recent Lunar New Year, the school has given you a grace - one-off exception to be away during the hectic JAE and exam processing period. Hence, we regret to inform you that we won't be able to make a 2nd exception as we have to be consistent and fair across, just as much as we would like to help you. All staff have been told that if they intend to take any block leave, they should check with their RO in advance and steer clear of important poly/school events which are all pre-scheduled in the Neverland Activity Calendar. As soon as we receive the confirmed date of ICT's Graduation Ceremony from the Acad Admission office, we have also sent an email to all staff so that they can plan for their vacation around this important date.

Note: Dirs and staff have also fedback to Acad Admission's office to explore if the graduation ceremony can be held during term time and not during the poly vacation break so that staff can take their vacation for the entire two weeks.
----


I was trying the hole day to catch up w/ my RO to discuss this 'corporate jargon to the max'. But being unable to so, I wrote the reply that's mainly for my own egoistic satisfaction - thanks to the corporate culture around here, it will (probably) never reach the three intended recipients:


----
Dear Director,

Thank you for taking my enquiry into consideration.

Though I have to accept your decision professionally and with understanding, it will come to no surprise to you that it invokes great disappointment.

I expected that my case merits an exception due to, as already mentioned, the following:

a) This is my 1st go-around at the school, I genuinely did not know about 'all staff' compulsory attendance at the ceremony until the last Friday's staff meeting.

b) I'm currently in my 2nd semester, after teaching 1st and 2nd year students. Therefore, even though I can appreciate the team spirt and the support of the students on this very important occasion, none of those graduating this June would have been thought by me. Hence, my joy and sense of pride could not be comparable to those who worked so hard to help them personally during the last 3 years in the hope off seeing them graduate. From a student perspective, an added potential support that would come from a presence of the unknown random face is questionable.

c) The email notification to all staff so that they can plan for their vacation around this important date was sent on 23rd of February, whereas I have purchased my ticket on the 1st of February.

d) The above mentioned email (c) did not specify 'compulsory' clause, hence this issue is only brought forward now. Plese note that I alwasy check with my RO before applying for a leave of any duration, though not months in advace.

e) I bought the ticket that early because it was on the promotion. None the less, with taxes included the fair still added up to be 20% of my monthly IF salary. As the ticket does not allow for delayed travel time, it will now be forfeited w/o any reimbursement.

f) Even though I appreciate the exception in which I was allowed to take the leave during the recent Lunar New Year, I don't see it as a grace that was given to me, as to my understanding there was a miss-communcaiton between other parties involved.

g) How will I be able to forget about this email in order to enjoy the celebration, and hence contribute to it positively on the 13th of June 2007!?

Sincerely,

Unhappy, for the day, ICTan
----

I can understand that someone can get so worked up about the graduation - and I appreciate half a page explanation of it's purpose and importance before getting to the point of the email (NOT - in case sarcasm's too subtle) - but can they understand that there are those who don't...?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg bud, that was a fcukin beautiful email- i mean who were you sendin it to- the interntaional court or the i- wanna- get -boned -department. i mean you know i like your point by point rebuttal- if you wanna be an apprentice, you'd end up being a lawyer sooner that than some of those dudes graduate- i'll give you that, but to wave this in front of her face (asia) is simply saying to the bull in the ring- do me handsome- anyway you like !

zb said...

I've heard there is a village somewhere in Spain where people gather together, in front of bulls. Then they run the streets as bulls are chasing after them -> sounds fun...!