Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Melaka

David’s cousin stopped over on her way from Madras to Melbourne. The three of us spend the last weekend in Melaka. We were very lucky that the rain, that is causing biggest floods in Malaysia in last 40 years, took the break from poring during those two days.

I found out that the weekend trip to a Malaysia is, like many other things I find here so far, just too easy, and very fun (for the sake of repetition – the mother of all knowledge (old saying) - the second point is all about, as the song says, wonderful human beings). Surely, this will be just the first of many weekend trips to Malaysia that I'll have during this working holiday. (Just this morning I've got sms from Monkey, telling me that he extended his home stay and asking if I'll be visiting - you bet!)

Melaka, after first impressions, seems like a very nice, relaxed place. Amongst others, I enjoyed a prolonged chat David and I had with an old man in, what turned out to be, the library dedicated to Buddhism.

Unlike the first time when I went to JB, this time it looked and smelled much better. Once we got to the bus and started making our way north-east, the city looked very much like Singapore, with nicely arranged green areas. Talk about green, the journey to Melaka is very green, with lots and lots of palm trees; very nice…!

Since we really explored only Jonker Street, I’m looking forward to another weekend when I’ll venture into one adjacent to it.
From Melaka, Jan07

No comments: