Saturday, October 28, 2006

I like it a LOT

...is the standard answer to the usual question of '...So how do you like it in Singapore'. It's two months today since I landed here, and if I just think about all the specifics of my situation, I have a little grin stretching across my face...

There are two main reasons for it:
It was a while back on one of our walks to his car when Boxy asked me: 'what do you want?', and my answer was 'different lifestyle'. And on the arrival here, all that the word 'lifestyle' implied at the time, was basically handed to me. Nothing against my previous lifestyle, but it was just that after 20 years of doing the same thing in a very much the same way I was well due, or should I say overdue, for a change...

The second reason is rather simple: I've expected it to be a working holiday and it is. My first travelling destination, not counting that little trip to Malaysia, is India. The furthest destination West I was thinking about was Myanmar, India came as a possibility and then a realisation very quickly and very 'accidentally', very me!

As they say 'without sorrows there is no sweets', and the reason I find all this so 'sweet' is that it took me five yeas to get here. Similarly to recently retired Michael Schumacher who explained why his best memory was his title win in 2000: "We had a lot of hard work and setbacks so when we finally won it, it was the most beautiful championship." I say it took me five yeas, and not 20 to get here, because it was then, when I first moved to Melbourne, that I started thinking what is it that I've done during my undergraduate degree, and what kind of a job would I want to get, and how could I get... it was a while after that that I came to, what I see now as even more important question, why is it that I want it...

In summary, what it is that 'I like a lot', is mianly due to my outlook to the context. I like Singapore, but this is not about the city, this could have been Melbourne, Auckland, Zadar or abc...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Singapore is cool. I loved it while I was over there. Great to see you share the sentiment.

Unknown said...

hear hear x