Sunday, October 08, 2006

Ideas...

...are cheep. It was at one of DIS Phd seminars where I first heard the story that ideas are like mushrooms after the rain - when the conditions are right they pop-up all over the place. The same, or at least very similar ideas tend to surface at a particular point in time and context. [The moral of the story for the Phd students was to publish early and often.]

I never considered myself to be an Idea person, until the last year when my Honours supervisor Sandrine mentioned it quite a few times... didn't want to argue with her on that one. Guess that's just one of those relative adjectives.

Well what has my emotions kind of split tonight is the article about the rumoured acquisition of YouTube by Google for a cool $1.6 billion. See, the idea of doing something with a user generated video content on-line was between my ears for about a week or two even before I read about this new website called YouTube in MX newspaper on one of my daily train rides from the uni to home.

My initial reaction was 'F, if only....' But luckily my reasoning is much quicker these days as I got to be quite good at shortcutting my initial, occasionally not so positive thoughts. So the 2nd reaction was ' Hey, that's cool! The same mushroom that pooped up between my ears has turned out to be a very lavish one.' This makes me optimistic, maybe as Ray once said it, unreasonably optimistic, that eventually there will be a time, the right time, when I'll act in time to turn one of my ideas into the lavish mushroom.

Ps: Repetition of the word 'time', in the previous sentence, reminds me of a line someone once said: 'Timing is everything.'

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Zb...
Thanks for you know what. You did it every year. I really appreciate that.
So...It's true! You are in Singapore!! I heard someone said you might work as a teacher there. Good on you. You finally make a move.
I am still here~~ and feel a bit scared about my next move. I will be cool, because you make it !!! I thought you were going to stay in Melbourne Uni. forever. Really happy for you. Hope to visit you sometimes.

Julia

Senad said...

When I used to live in Poland before the war I was a carpenter.
I was the best carpenter in the whole of the Jewish Ghetto.
Obviously I have changed my name since but I was christened Jesusevski Christovicz and im well hung.

Senad said...

friday evening. a productive period spent watching will ferrell highlights and listening to blur. recent events have led me to believe that hair is unnecessary, but i will continue to tolerate it nonetheless. also spent some time dwelling on what it would be like if i had never learned to read (now, in order to place any relevance on this you are forced to believe that i can, indeed, read, as i claim to be able to). my conclusion: it would be nothing at all like coal mining. think about THAT ONE.

Senad said...

To my friend Zoran aka the ant: (and if you are reading this, and are not my friend, please find something to do with yourself. you are a ticking time bomb, partner) konnichiwa. it's been too long. i'm extremely surprised none of us are dead. but i'm sure that your nose and hands have grown slightly, and your sex drive has reduced dramatically.

zb said...

Ko iz picke ...that tea u guys are having all the way up north seems to be very strong. I'll hv to amend my itinerary.

Senad said...

Hey Zoro...

I killed someone in Zadar last week.

I left a note saying "this horrific crime was commited in the summer of 2006, by a blind, mad-croatian, man of indiscriminate weight and morals. You will never catch me - I live in Singapore"

Expect a knock knock soon pal...

Anonymous said...

Hey Zoros,

i always knew you were onto something big.. next time dont eat the mushrooms*

love you - drew