Friday, April 27, 2007

ZMM

It was my first day in India, I was walking though the underpass between Bangalore bus station and 'the other side'. The underpass was doubling as a little market at the time, with people sitting on the floor selling stuff. One of these 'stools' positioned next to the side wall was selling books, so as I usually do, I went to check them out. Amongst few that caught my attention was the little book with quite worn out pink cover and a funny title: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values, Robert M Pirsig. Being only 100 Rupee ($4) it was a no brainier.

This book entertained me through thinking, questioning, remembering... learning. I enjoyed it, lovedIt...!


Ps: During Saba holiday, it was first Dan (nick name, not a typo) who surprised me when he said that he wanted to read the book; it took me only another month to finish it and I already promised to pass it on to Veki, otherwise I'd be happy to share. Later when Chiara sow it, she was like 'wow... this is my favorite book ever' (Chiara was 16 when she read the book - impressive). After I got to the end, I looked it up and, this time with no surprises, found that there is whole lot of info out there. If it looks like an interesting read (full text(or here)), I suggest you (fight of the temptation :) and go though it by starting with a 'blank sheet of paper' before you learn more about the book, idea, author, journey's route and photos from it. Also this Prof's review is worth while.

2 comments:

psybertron said...

Thanks for the link to "Ram", not seen him before.

(BTW did you really just read ZMM in recent days ? Or is the first day in India sometime ago ?)

www.psybertron.org

zb said...

Ian, Ta for the comment.

Got the book on my 1st day in India, 17 Dec 06. Finished it on 20 Apr 07 - quick eh :)