Thursday, April 12, 2007

webBrowsing

I spend part of the day upgrading my Firefox browser. I heard bout it long time ago, and sparingly used it here and there, but it was only recently that it became my default browser - it's just way more stable then IE, I don't remember when was it that it crashed last.

Considering how much running I do on the web, it makes sense to take some time to fine tune the 'running gear' (better late then never). So after reading the article about the top add-ons for Firefox, I installed:
Gmail Manger, All-in-One Gestures, FoxyTunes, Answers, Session Manager, ChromaTabs, CoolirisPreviews and FireFoxShowcase.

I've first seen Björn use mouse gestures on Opera (if I remember correctly) last year. He was exited by them, and I must say that I second that as they considerably speed up the navigation though pages/windows/tabs.

Customised search engine tool bar with Google, wikpieda, YouTube and Amazon is just great.

ChromaTabs is simple and useful.

CoolirisPreview is quite sweet, and so far (few days) I didn't get much use from FireFoxShowcase nor Session Manager.

Answers works similarly to wordWeb, though it has more info and it can tell you about many phrases. But before all applications end up on as web services, I'll still need wordWeb as it runs on any application, and also it's much quicker.

FoxyTunes is not much different to having windows media player in a 'mini mode'. I thought it would play streams from Digitally Imported without a need to open a music player. Though it will eventually work as a music aggregator of sort.


Ps: there is the spell check w/in Firefox - priceless (for me :)


April 25

Update after using the customized browser for two weeks; in order of appreciation:

1. search engine text-box w/ custom drop-down list of search engines (Google, Wikipedia, youTube, Amazon)
1b. mouse gestures
3. Session Manager - save everything that you have currently opened to continue next time. It also works in case the browser crashes.
4. ChromaTabs.
-the others: not so much.