Friday, March 14, 2008

Persepolis

The best movie I have seen in a long while.

Why did I like it so much? - Guess it has lot to do with the similarity I share with the main character, Marjane:

- growing up in a county amidst religion fuiled war
- nationality confusion
- info loving, moral fighter

More detailed description by Cinema Nova:
Marjane Satrapi's critically acclaimed memoir, "Persepolis," comes to life in the witty and heartfelt animated feature directed by Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud.

PERSEPOLIS is the poignant story of a young girl coming-of-age in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. It is through the eyes of precocious and outspoken nine-year-old Marjane that we see a people's hopes dashed as fundamentalists take power — forcing the veil on women and imprisoning thousands. Clever and fearless, she outsmarts the "social guardians" and discovers punk, ABBA and Iron Maiden. Yet when her uncle is senselessly executed and as bombs fall around Tehran in the Iran/Iraq war the daily fear that permeates life in Iran is palpable.

“Persepolis, austere as it may look, is full of warmth and surprise, alive with humor and a fierce independence of spirit.”
A.O. Scott, The New York Times

1 comment:

chong chong said...

yesterday my gulf colleague in Dubai told me that half a year ago the Iranian gov. seems become stricter again, that may be colorful scarf or coats would not be allowed again, which originally the Iran society already getting more and more open...........I hope it is just the rumor but not the truth, though I wouldn't be suprised after we watched this movie....
I will find it out after I move to there.....^ ^